Sunday, March 29, 2020

Favorite Scriptures (Week #54)

January 6, 2020

 That's impossible. Elder Bednar can't be coming to Jacksonville. 

I've been doing good. This week has actually been pretty productive. Our Bishop is trying to get us to teach this youth that has been coming to church for months if not years. He has expressed desires to serve a mission and serve in the church, and the bishop has asked him if he would be interested in taking the lessons. 

It's now starting to get steadily colder around here. I almost lost my warm peacoat, but I still have it. I have been trying to do Come Follow Me, but there has been other things that I have to study too. We have been using Come Follow Me for member lessons when they invite us over for dinner. I like the pictures in the new book.

I have been cutting down on sweets. I have been eating at least three servings of vegetables everyday. I actually think it's been great. I don't like to eat vegetables too much, but I have just felt better when I have. 


"If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear." This is something I still have a hard time with. I procrastinate too much, but this vs is true. 

"Look unto Me in every thought. Doubt not. Fear not." Read your scriptures everyday. Put God first. Work to answer personal questions that you have about the Gospel. This can help you remember Christ. Seeking to understand the doctrines can help you understand who He is and what He's really about. I think a lot of us think we understand things, which I think is true, but I also think that the same thing can be understood on different levels. Too me, it's like an upward spiral. At one point of pur lives, a certain level of understanding is sufficient for choices that we have to make at that time, but at other points in our lives, we sometimes have to increase our understanding to reckon with the new challenges that face us. If you think about it, Christ says that He is the word. In the context of the Book of Mormon, the iron rod is the word of God. Those who clung to the Word of God, made it to the tree of life. 

"Where there is no vision, the people perish." Set goals and make plans to make worthy and sound visions a reality. 

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not to thy own understanding." Sometimes, you think you found the right answer, and then later on, you think you've been duped. What that could indicate is a misguided road map. In that case, reassess priorities, and really think about what it is that you really want. Sometimes, we think we know what we want and it seems clear, but in reality, it isn't. For example, some people go through hard trials, and when they finally pull through, they think that they've done it all by themselves without God's help, and so they think to themselves, "You know, I did this all alone. Where was God when I needed Him? Does He even exist?" And then they start to disbelieve that there is even a God. Then they want proof. They want a sign that He exists, and if they don't get it, they won't believe. They then say, what I really want is proof that God exists. If I can just get proof, then all will be well. But that's not actually what they want. What they really want is this question answered. "Does God really love me? Is he aware of Me? Does He care. Does He understand?" Interestingly enough, they actually are not completely denying the existence of A God. They made choices that clouded their understanding of who God is and how He works, and one of those choices is thinking that one can go through life by one's self without God or others.

"But behold, I say unto you that ye must pray always, and not faint; that ye must not perform any thing unto the Lord save in the first place ye shall pray unto the Father in 
the name of Christ, that he will consecrate thy performance unto thee, that thy performance may be for the welfare of thy soul." 

Anyhow, I'm alive and breathing. I love you all.

Love,
Elder Flynn

No comments: