Monday, April 22, 2019

Bingo! (Week #14)

March 25, 2019

It has been a busy and exciting week. As missionaries, we did lots of service last week. We served at a senior center and participated in a bingo game. I knew that it was a form of gambling so we just participated for fun so that we could fellowship with the people. We have met a lot of interesting people. All of them are retired and elderly so they have a lot of stories to share. 

I have met a person that has traveled all around the world. She had been in Africa and used to see Giraffes in her backyard. She has also been to Antarctica and knows what an emperor penguin looks like in person. She also is of native American ancestry. She is now in ole Missouri and will remain here probably for a good while. She says that living in this area is tough for her, and that she needs our help in certain things.

 I have also met a person that has just about done everything that could be done in life. He flew a plane at thirteen, and for several years, he worked on the oil rigs in the gulf. He even met a fellow employee who became a famous songwriter. I don't remember the name that he gave me, but he said that this guy would sometimes be so wrapped up in his music that he would sit hovering in his work helicopter above the launch pad on the rig. I also heard from him that during a hurricane, they weren't able to evacuate fast enough and so they had to stick it out on the rig. He said that the swells were huge and that at one point during the storm, he looked out over the horizon, or what was left of the horizon, and saw more than thirty water spouts churning up the sea. That was probably pretty scary to he honest. He also recounted how he did some risky feats when ships and boats would pull in at the rig. The life he is currently living now is a drastically peaceful contrast to what he lived before. Now, he farms. He said that he lives in Missouri now because land is cheap. 

I have also noticed that some of the people that I have met have traveled a lot and been to a lot of places. I have also met people that have pretty much lived in and around Ava their entire lives, which to me can also be hard to believe. One person that I have met used to work at an old uniform making factory. She told me that her family lived away from town and so when they needed groceries, her father would take what she called a potato sack which was very voluminous and then he would walk twenty miles to town. He would load it to the brim with various necessities and then he would walk the twenty miles back, walking through the woods over the steep hills because roads were not yet fully established. If I remember correctly, she said he would do this at least once a week. Anyhow, I find it amazing that these sorts of people can be found in a small community center in the middle of a small Missouri town. If you just took them at face value as elderly bingo players, then you wouldn't be able to tell what they've each been through in life.

Things are starting to look very green now. The trees have not yet budded their leaves fully. Today, our stake had a zone activity. I say stake because there are two or three stakes in our zone which is the East Zone of the mission. Currently, I am the only missionary from the eastern United States in our stake. The other missionaries are mostly from Idaho with the rest being from California, Arizona, and Utah. It was fun but tiring. I am glad to be headed back to Ava once again. Transfers have finally arrived. I am staying in Ava, and my trainer is being transferred to train another missionary in Rala. He is going to serve in a YSA branch near a college campus. This is the first time that he will be a missionary on a campus. I told him to beware of people like Mustafa... ha, ha. He only has six more weeks and then he's headed home. 

I will be receiving a new companion who will also be the new zone leader of the stake. Another elder is also being transferred to Cassville MO. In addition, a few other missionaries are being transferred so things are starting to look a little different now. The number of people that we will be able to teach is starting to grow a little bit more. Honestly, it's just hard to contact people because of busy schedules. I hope that I can remain humble enough to be able to teach effectively. 

General Conference was unusually more poignant to me this time. I suppose that is because of being a missionary or at least trying to be one. President Nelson was pretty clear about repentance and the hastening of the gathering of Israel. I noticed that there seemed to also be emphasis in particular on building homes as refuges. I then realized that emphasis has always been on these things all along. They are even more highlighted now though I guess.

My driving info went through, and I am now driving. One thing is for certain. These roads are definitely less busy than the ones in Jacksonville. They are, however, not in any means as flat. It's somewhat fun driving on the hills.  I am thankful and glad that I am part of a family like ours. I hope that God protects you all and keeps you safe, and I know that He will as you build faith in Him. Conference seemed to also emphasize building faith in Jesus Christ. The prophet and the apostles seem to want us to really, really rely on the Savior. 

Anyhow- I have started to see that some people do not have families in which they are assured loving relationships. I want to let you know that my testimony is growing, and that I am doing my best each day to strengthen it. Thank you all for your prayers for me. I love you all, and I will pray for you.

Love,
Elder Flynn

















No comments: